Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Source Code

Here we go. I'm going to try and review movies as I see them. I don't think I'll go all that in depth though. But if I recommend a movie at the end of the month it might be out of theaters by the time I post it. Here's the first of many hopefully.

The Source Code
Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga, and Jeffrey Wright
Directed by Duncan Jones
Written by Ben Ripley

Story: A helicopter pilot (Gyllenhaal) is part of a secret government experiment called The Source Code. It allows a person to relive the past eight minutes of a recently deceased person. Using the Source Code the agency tries to prevent a terrorist attack on Chicago.

Review: I really liked Jones' first movie, Moon, and was really looking forward to this one. It didn't disappoint. Gyllenhaal gives an excellent performance as the helicopter pilot, Colter Stephens, and Farmiga and Wright stand out as the controllers of the Source Code. Monaghan doesn't get a whole lot to work with, but she does an admirable job with a fairly shallow character.

There's not a lot of action. I'd say it's comparable to a sci-fi movie like The Adjustment Bureau, but the explosions and special effects for the train are decent.

Comparable Movies: I'd say it's kind of a mix of small independent sci-fi movie like Primer, and Total Recall.

Rating: **** 1/2 out of 5

The first thing I wanted to do when I got out of the theater is go back and see it again. I can't give a movie a better recommendation than that. So, if you like some hard core science fiction, I'd say see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment