Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Movie Review Ketchup


Hi everybody,

I’m sorry I haven’t been updating my movie reviews the last 2 months. I haven’t had the time, and I went on vacation in the middle of August. So, this post is to just get caught up and give a little blurb and a rating for the last 16 movies I saw.

Cowboys and Aliens - ** ½ - A mash-up of two different genres. It was a good idea, but the aliens are never on screen so there is no real antagonist.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - *** ½ - It’s a solid prequel to the original. Has a high rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but I think it was only average. Not a great movie.

The Change-Up - ** - The best parts are in the trailer, and everything works out in the end. Trust me, I didn’t ruin anything for you. A little more raunchy than I was expecting though.

The Help - *** - An average civil rights movie. I hope the book is better.

30 Minutes or Less - **** - Funny cast, and an interesting premise makes a good movie.

Fright Night - **** - I like the original, but the sequel lives up to it. David Tennant was excellent.

Conan the Barbarian - * ½ - A couple decent fight sequences, but some awful acting and a confusing story kill this attempt at a reboot.

Colombiana - *** - A decent copy of The Professional. I would say Hanna is a better movie though.

Our Idiot Brother - ** - An indie comedy in the same vein as Little Miss Sunshine. A few funny lines, but overall a big cliché.

The Debt - **** - Casts don’t get much better than this one. A well acted and directed movie with an interesting story.

Attack the Block - ***** - One of my favorite movies of the year so far. Hilarious, and some good scifi action as well.

Contagion - *** ½ - It would make a great double feature with Outbreak. With so many characters it loses focus, and you forget about them before they make it back to their storyline.

Apollo 18 - * - Such a great premise, but so poorly done.

Warrior - *** - It’s kind of like The Fighter, but not based on a true story.

Drive - ***** - Ryan Gosling is the best actor of the year. This might be the best movie of the year, but still a little too early to tell.

Straw Dogs - ** - A movie where the amount of violence is supposed to hit you hard. But seeing it just after Drive makes it seem pretty weak.

Again sorry about the delay.

May the Force be with you,
CHUD

No comments:

Post a Comment