Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Under the Radar Summer Movies


While the usual, heavily publicized films make their way into theaters this summer I’d like to point out a few lesser known films coming out.

The Iceman (May 3) – Michael Shannon is great in everything. He should become a household name after Man of Steel.

The East (May 31) – The trailer looks interesting. Could be really good or incredibly bad. I’m a sucker for corporate espionage.

Much Ado About Nothing (June 7) – This is a movie Whedonites. The cast is filled with actors from Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse. Don’t really care for Shakespeare, but I care a great deal for Whedon.

The Bling Ring (June 14) – I haven’t liked a single movie Sofia Coppola has made, but I loved Emma Watson in Perks of Being a Wallflower. Seems to be in the same vein as Spring Breakers. Lets hope for a better outcome.

The Way, Way Back (July 5) – I loved The Descendants. (Written by the directors Faxon and Rash.) This looks just as good, and might make a nice double feature with Adventureland.

R.I.P.D. (July 19) – This is a bigger release than the rest of these, but I hadn’t even heard about it until a week ago. Seems similar to MIB, and that’s not a bad thing. Funny that director Robert Schwentke is opening against the sequel to his last movie, RED.

Elysium (August 9) – I think we’ll start hearing more about this one as we get closer. I’ve been recommending District 9 since the first trailer came out, and Elysium looks just as good. I was really hoping Neill Blomkamp was going to direct Episode 7, but I didn’t have my hopes up too high.

May the Force be with you,
CHUD

No comments:

Post a Comment