Sunday, January 8, 2012

Top Movies Coming in 2012

Hi, I hope everyone had a good 2011, and a good start to 2012. Starting next week I am going to try to post more frequently here with a preview of a movie on Friday, and then a review of the movie on Tuesday. For this week though I'm going to take a look at the most anticipated movies coming out this year.

John Carter - March 9 - This movie has been an on again, off again production for nearly a lifetime. It's finally coming to the big screen, and is being directed by Andrew Stanton(Wall-E). Hopefully he is as successful as Brad Bird going to live action with Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. It has a Star Wars, space fantasy feel to it, but I'm not sure Taylor Kitsch is the choice I would have made to carry this franchise. Hope it turns out well. Here's the trailer.




The Hunger Games - March 23 - I liked the books and was really looking forward to it. The first casting announcements were great, with Jennifer Lawrence playing Katniss and Woody Harrelson as Haymitch being fantastic choices. Then it started to go downhill. Lenny Kravitz was cast as a linchpin character. I looked up Gary Ross' film history on IMDB. Big, Pleasantville, and Dave were not the type of movies I was thinking of when I read the book about a dystopian future where the elite, ruling class  make children fight to the death. And then this trailer came out, and almost all hope is lost.


I'm hopeful, but feel this is going to be a big disappointment.


The Avengers - May 4 - Iron Man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor all lead into this comic book movie to end all comic book movies. Should be a huge spectacle, and I cannot wait :)



Men In Black III - May 25 - MIB 2 was an atrocious pile of shit, but the original is one of the best sci-fi comedies ever made. I'm hoping this isn't just a cash grab for the studio and this franchise gets back on track the way Transformers did last year.


Prometheus - June 8 - A prequel to Alien being directed by Ridley Scott. A fantastic cast (Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Patrick Wilson, Guy Pearce) and a cool first trailer will make me consider going to a midnight showing of this.


Brave - June 22 - When Pixar makes a bad movie I'll stop getting excited to see what they do next. (Cars 2 was pretty average, but not terrible.)


The Amazing Spider-Man - July 3 - About as bad a first look as you can get with its first trailer. My friend Tom thought it was a sequel to Superhero Movie, a spoof of the original Spider-Man. Haven't heard much about this since the trailer came out. I like the character of Spiderman and I liked Andrew Garfield in Social Network. We'll see.


The Dark Knight Rises - July 20 - By far the most anticipated movie of 2012. There is no way this can live up to the hype, so I think quite a few people will be disappointed. I'm hopeful it will be better than first, and close to as good as the second. Can't wait to see Tom Hardy as Bane.


The Bourne Legacy - August 3 - A Bourne movie without Matt Damon. Jeremy Renner has pretty much taken over Hollywood. Rumor has it he will be the lead in the next Mission Impossible movie, he's part of the Avengers, and now is taking over the biggest spy series outside of 007. He's a great actor and I'm looking forward to the trailer for this one.

Skyfall - November 9 - The only thing better than a new Bourne movie is a new Bond movie. Yay!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - December 14 - This is my most anticipated movie of the year. I love the LOTR movies and enjoyed the first book, but The Hobbit is a far superior story in my opinion. In Fellowship the story focuses on the nine members of the group and their journey across Middle Earth. Now take that concept and replace the boring humans with some lively dwarves. Martin Freeman was brilliantly cast a Bilbo Baggins and having Peter Jackson back directing is for the best.



Well, I hope you enjoyed reading my 2012 preview. I think this will be a great year for movies and I wish that it was this year that I decided to see 100 movies in the theater since it looks much more promising.

May the Force be with you,
CHUD

No comments:

Post a Comment