Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January Schedule

Hi Terry, Athena, Joe, and Darrell,

In my last post I made a goal of seeing 100 movies in 2011.  That's about 2 every week, and 9 a month.  Maybe I aimed a little high.  Regardless, I'm going to try and do it.  I already saw Season of the Witch, and here's the rest of what I have on tap.

The King's Speech - An academy award hopeful starring Colin Firth.  I know this technically came out in 2010, but it didn't get released in my area until this week.  I'm still going to count it for my tally this year.

The Green Hornet - A superhero comedy written by and starring Seth Rogen.  Michel Gondry directed so I'm going to give this a chance, although the trailers have looked terrible and Seth Rogen doesn't seem to fit the part.  Also, I watched a Mythbusters episode dedicated to the Green Hornet, and found it amusing when every action scene in the movie was busted.

The Dilemma - Buddy comedy starring Vince Vaughn and Kevin James.  Ron Howard movies usually come out a month earlier in time for awards season, so I'm pretty sure this was pushed back into January because it's terrible.  I know gay rights activists were upset about the first trailer's use of the word gay.  I saw it before the line was removed, and I can see why they were upset about it.  Maybe they should watch some Louis CK standup to cool off.

No Strings Attached - Romantic comedy starring Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher.  This is going to be painful going up to the box office and buying the ticket.  Natalie Portman is great when she gives great effort on the project, but she does like to collect a paycheck(see Star Wars).  And Ashton Kutcher can suck it.

The Mechanic - Remake of a Charles Bronson movie starring Jason Statham. Jason Statham is this generations Jean Claude Van Damme.  He doesn't get the big budget action movies like The Rock or Sam Worthington, but he is in twice as many B grade action pictures.  Sometimes he gets a hit like The Transporter, and sometimes he's in Death Race.  Flip a coin, and hopefully it's heads.

The Rite - Exorcism movie starring Anthony Hopkins.  Meh.

I'll definitely see all of these movies which will put me at 7 for the month.  I'm a little off pace, but it's January and there's not much coming out.  Hopefully I Love You, Philip Morris will open close by, or another movie worth seeing.

Looking at this list though is somewhat depressing.  Honestly, there's not a single movie on here that I would make any real effort in seeing any other year, but I can't quit before I start.  It's just sad that I'm going to give money the people that made No Strings Attached, blech.  Anyway, I'll go see all of these and report back at the beginning of February.

May the Force be with you,
CHUD

No comments:

Post a Comment